Friday, November 12, 2010

ARE YOU THE SALT OF THE EARTH?

Yesterday I kept having a visual thought of my dad pouring peanuts in a bottle of coke. When I pictured that I thought, he must have liked salt. At dinner I watched the boys salting their food. Something we do everyday but never really "noticed" it before. This morning when I woke up the first thought that popped into my head was "salt of the earth." I said God, I don't know what you want to tell me but please help me find out. I went to the book of MATTHEW 5:13.

"YOU ARE THE SALT OF THE EARTH. BUT IF THE SALT LOSES ITS SALTINESS, HOW CAN IT BE MADE SALTY AGAIN?  IT IS NO LONGER GOOD FOR ANYTHING, EXCEPT TO BE THROWN OUT AND TRAMPLED BY MEN."

Well I can say that this verse confused me. I called my mom and she read me a good description of what she thought the salt was and then I spoke with my husband and asked him what he thought. I asked two of the boys what they thought it meant, each with their own definition but they all made sense.  After talking to them, I decided that God was letting me know that I am the salt of the earth and I can help these boys be the salt of the earth as well. Here is my description. I became saved as a young girl and witnessed and shined for Jesus. (I was the salt) In my teenage years I started hanging out with the wrong people and doing bad things, not going to church and not even mentioning Jesus to any of my friends. (I had lost by saltiness and at this point in my life I was no good to God) As I got older I realized that without God I would never be happy. I could have money, nice cars, big houses but none of that mattered if I wasn't working for God and making my Heavenly Father happy. I started going back to church, rededicated my life to God and started working to please him. (I became salty again) You see we can become saved, but if we are not working for Jesus we are not any good to him. God needs us to witness and tell other's about him and be willing to do what he ask us to do. And when you do go astray and lose your saltiness, with repentance God is always willing to make us salty again for him.

"YOU ARE THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD. A CITY ON A HILL CANNOT BE HIDDEN. NEITHER DO PEOPLE LIGHT A LAMP AND PUT IT UNDER A BOWL. INSTEAD THEY PUT IT ON ITS STAND, AND IT GIVES LIGHT TO EVERYONE IN THE HOUSE. IN THE SAME WAY,  LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE BEFORE MEN, THAT THEY MAY SEE YOUR GOOD DEEDS AND PRAISE YOUR FATHER IN HEAVEN."
                                                                              MATTHEW 5:14-16

So tell Satan to get behind you and leave you alone! Let your light shine for Jesus so you can be the salt of the earth!

1 comment:

  1. There you go! God finally gave you the meaning of "salt". You brought it out just fine.
    Love you and see you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete